Note: the pictures of these lovely ladies below are NOT examples of looking old or doing things wrong...in fact they are evidence of the opposite! Plus, let's be honest, the pictures break up my long winded soap box! Thank you Lydia Photographyfor the amazing shots from our previous photoshoots!
You asked for my honest opinion, "Am I looking old? Honestly Jess, tell me. I can take it. I know you'll tell me the truth!," you said. So here it is. And listen, regardless of my answer, you should ultimately do what you love...how you feel is what is most important, so if you do something in this list and you love it then be my guest! It's your right to look haggard err umm I mean everyone is entitled to their wrong opinion---uh What I mean is, more power to ya! And yes friend I know you think I'm a little snarky, but it's only to emphasis my point and because I would NEVER be this unfiltered with a client...but since we are friends, I know you can handle the truth.
1. Your brows are way too thin. Maybe it's over plucking, maybe you're just not particularly hairy, or maybe they've thinned with age but they are too thin. It seems counterintuitive but fuller brows actually make your eyes look more lifted! Thin brows overexpose the orbital bone and makes your eyes appear droopy. A fuller brow is an instant face lift, so grab some filler and make them fuller! Or head to an Anastasia counter for some brow rehab--Don't worry, we can tell the press it was just for "exhaustion."
2. Your lipstick is too brown or too dark...Honestly women are pretty religious about their lipstick. I get it. That shade is perfect right? You've been wearing it for years ya? Well that's just it, you've been wearing it so long you don't know any other way to view your lips. That doesn't make it the best shade for you. Dark lips age, period. Sometimes that's ok if we are going for a vampy look. But for everyday, you should go with something a little more rosy with more life in it! It will brighten your complexion and your smile.
3. You're still wearing the same mattifying or oily skin formula foundation from years ago. You'd be surprised at how many women when discussing their skin type claim to be oily when what they really mean is, I was labeled as oily in my teens and I never reevaluated that as I got older. Oily skin formulas tend to combat shine, sucking out radiance...which when we were much more oily was great, we had radiance coming out the wazoo! But now, you aren't anymore. I mean ya, you may still get shiny or even the occasional zit, but you are not the oil slick gal you used to be (thank God right?!). So using those formulas is essentially making your skin look dull and tired. And you don't need that mega coverage anymore! Something lighter and more radiant is going to make your skin look fabulous! I know I know, it's a total paradigm shift. It's the right thing to do though, I promise.
4. You're not concealing under your eyes. "But I feel like it makes me look wrinkly, or I feel like it settles in my lines." First, let's do some hunting to find a good formula that works best for you! Not all concealers are created equally. Second, darkness under your eyes will make you look more old and run down than a few lines ever will. The lines are there whether you care to acknowledge them or not, the darkness doesn't have to be.
5. You're not using good skincare. Whether it's because you think it's too late, or you're in denial of it being necessary...you need to pay attention to your skin. If you're thinking to yourself: should I start using an eye cream? The answer always is: yes you should of started years ago, regardless of how young you are. It's never too late to give your skin what's best for it. That's like not watering a wilting plant...it's not dead yet, so give it what it needs! And if you're old enough to question if you should be using reparative creams or nutrient packed serums, then your answer is yes.
So there you have it friend, I'm only telling you this because I love you...and because you asked my advice. I mean, I think you're fantastic and have great taste (after all, we are friends!). But you know I will always tell you truth when you ask for it, that's why we are such good friends.
PS- if we really do know each other personally and you saw something on this list and wondered, "Is Jess talking about me??" Yes, yes I am talking about you. Coffee next week?
Cheers to Honesty, Friendship, and Aging Gracefully,