Meet my new friend Kali. Kali at the ripe old age of 21 is an accomplished makeup and hair artist. I met her last month at the Adesign Brush Party, she was demo’ing body art techniques using those awesome brushes. I was completely wowed by her abilities and asked her to share her story and some products she loves. Her strengths and interests (math, anyone?!) intrigue me…take notes people, this girl is going places…
“So lets see, where do I begin…Well for starters my name is Kali Lorenzo. Born and raised in San Jose, CA. I was always a creative kid and somehow I ended up putting it to use through makeup. I loved painting and math. So those 2 skills served me well when it came to hair and makeup. I’m a licensed cosmetologist. Believe it or not theres alot of math in hair! I’ve been professionally doing makeup for about 5 yrs, hair 2yrs.”
“As far as body painting goes, I’ve only been doing that for a year. My first time doing such thing was for a Hair show competition, which I won first place for ;). The theme was “time warp” doing anything from the b.c. to present involving hair/makeup. I did futuristic of course. I converted my model into a robot from head to toe. Never did I have previous training for this, but it was how my mind worked. I had this vision in my head so I would quickly draw it before it left my brain. Sketch it out & then bring it to life on a human body as my canvas. Sometimes I dont even know how my brain works…but it does…in a crazy way. I love doing what I do, and I feel more than blessed to be one of the few that gets to do what they love as a career.”
“My interest in makeup began shortly after my 15th birthday, my friend had a photography project and asked me to be in it. I knew how to do makeup, but not like those girls at MAC. That day I did a look that changed my life forever, it was simple but gave me the idea that “Hey, maybe this can take me somewhere”. So I started reading books, watching youtube videos, and eventually having clients. I posted all my stuff on myspace (back then lol) then facebook, and then eventually started attending shows and networking…”
“May I add I was only about 18or 19? I was determined, and I still am.”
“I know what I want and I do not stop until I get it. I feel like I’m still at a young age where I have plenty of years to achieve my goals, but of course I give myself a deadline. I need to push myself harder every year to achieve that 25yr deadline. So I have 4 yrs to go :).”
3 must haves (or else I’d die!!):
1) Ben Nye Setting Spray, I dont care what anyone says best setting spray ever!
2) Urban Decay Supercurl Lash, I kid you not best curling mascara I’ve used by far.
3) MUFE’s Flash Palette, need I say more??! Everything in 1!
Wow! I don’t know about you, but Kali’s amazing talent and determination (at such a young age too!) is incredibly inspiring! Follow her work on Facebook…and find out there how to book her services!
Cheers to Math, Art, and Determination,
September 17, 2012
Over the last year, I’ve made it a point to familiarize myself with non-department store makeup brands. And sometimes you find winners and sometimes you don’t. But while I love my luxury brand products (Hello Dior Airflash!), not everyone can or wants to spend $65 on foundation. Plus, while we all have brands we prefer, it’s never a good enough reason to use something just because of the name! I love using a variety of brands, and ultimately choose things based on what works for my face (or my client’s faces!).
Today I challenged myself and decided to replicate my daily beauty ritual with more affordable drugstore options…Here is the result:
I was happy with how it turned out! I keep things fairly basic on a daily basis. I focus on my complexion and skip eyeshadow, liner and mascara. I usually wear a bold lip, and lashes though.
For my complexion I used:
1. Rimmel Lasting Finish Foundation in #200 Soft Beige: $7.50
2. Maybelline FitMe powder in #310 to set my foundation with: $6
3. Jordana Forever Flawless pressed powder in #106 Light Honey as a bronzer: $1.25
4. Jordana Undercover Cream Concealer in #03 Soft Beinge for under my eyes and around my nose, et cetera: $1.25
For color I used:
1. Jordana blush in #17 Rouge: $1.25
2. Jordana blush in #2 Bronze for a little dimension: $1.25
3. Revlon Just Bitten Kissable in #030 Smitten Eprise: $8
And here is what my face looked like 8 hours later. Everything held up great! No touch ups at all, except one lip touch up! Not too shabby for less than $30 right?
Cheers to Beauty, Budgets, and Being Frugal,
September 5, 2012
This week I had the immense pleasure of attending the VIP Adesign Brush Party at The Specialists Salon in San Francisco hosted by Erica Carr! Not only was I there to experience and review the Adesign Brushes as an artist, but I also was invited to cover the event as a blogger…if you follow me on Twitter or Instagram you saw a bit of the play by play of the night (You don’t?! Let’s change that! @polishandpout). Here’s a peek into how this amazing night went…
The soiree was in one of my favorite places…San Francisco! Red carpet? Yes please!
Clockwise from top left: Me and fellow beauty blogger Renee Hamilton, New friend and fellow artist Trisha, Pre-party toast, Cheers!
Bubbly is nice and getting to see other artists is always fun…but the main reason we were there was of course for the brushes! We all had the chance to try the Adesign brushes out first hand on each other.
Two of the brushes there for our review have not even hit the market yet! One face and one eye brush…such innovative shapes! How incredible it was that Adesign wanted to include the artistry community in their product development! If the feedback is good…we may see these brush shapes hitting the shelves!
Adesign Brushes is a private label brand. They develop brushes for companies like Smashbox, Sephora, and Laura Mercier. I went home with around 7 brushes and cannot wait to use them extensively this month and give a full in-depth review soon! So stay tuned!
From the left: Beauty Director for Adesign Brushes Shana King, our hosts Erica and Lulu, and Anisa herself (the President of Anisa International, the company who owns Adesign).
Yum! The appetizers were divine! Such a fun night…having so many amazing artists in one place is a rare treat! I am so thankful for the new friendships and connections that were made last night!
Me and Beauty Expert Shana King…she is lovely yes? I must say, her complexion was immaculate!
Cheers to Bubbly, Beauty, and Brushes,
August 24, 2012
Here are some of the things that have been in my shopping cart as of late…mostly July and August. Some of these things I’ve been buying for years, others I just discovered! The prices vary greatly…honestly I use what I like and what works, sometimes that means combining expensive and affordable! Whatever works
Ardell Individual Lashes: a long time fave of mine! I wear these everyday and use them on all my brides! They look so plush but are believable at the same time! I had someone ask me the other day if I had started using Latisse. I prefer to adhere these with Dark Tone Duo glue. You can find these for under $5 at Target. I mostly use the “short” length.
ELF Liquid Lipstick in Perfected Pink: only $1 at Target! Glossy finish, but not sticky! Love how smooth it is…and this shade works for everyone!!!!
Dior Airflash: $65 at Nordstrom. Pricey yes. But perfection has to cost something! This is literally photoshop for your face. Looks lovely by itself and is lighter than air. Or buff it on top of your liquid makeup for that extra perfect doll-like pore-less look! When I want my skin to look immaculate this airbrush like spray foundation is my go-to. Started using this 5 years ago and it was love at first sight!
Rimmel 8 hour wear Kate Moss Lipstick: around $4 at Target. I know, I know, I keep brining this formula up but I REALLY love it! Wears so long and feels great. Shade #8 is a pinky mauve. Good bridal shade.
Urban Decay Primer Potion: Usually $18 at Sephora. I tried this originally when I purchased my first Naked palette and I really like it. Helps shadow go on smooth and wear longer. I snagged mine on sale at Nordstrom Rack for $8!
Jordana Easyshine #10 Fresh Melon: $1.25 at drugstores (I snagged mine at my local Savemart grocery!). Feels great, smells yummy, and looks so lovely! What a deal!
Rimmel 8 hour wear Kate Moss Lipstick: around $4 at Target. Yep another shade I love in this collection. A true nude. Perfect to pair with a dramatic eye. Be light handed when applying though so as to not erase your mouth completely!
Total cost of my shopping cart? Around $90…granted the foundation is around two-thirds of that so all in all 7 items for that much is not too shabby! Have you tried any of these products? Tell me your thoughts!
Cheers to Pricey Foundations, Cheap Lippys, and Using What Works for You,
August 20, 2012
The summer has flown by! And between doing makeup for numerous weddings and traveling so frequently I’ve dropped the ball on what’s in my Birchbox. In fact, July’s sat on my desk unopened for 3 weeks! Crazy, I know!
Here’s a peek at what I got! July was hosted by Glamour Magazine (which I subscribe to and LOVE!)…
The Fragrance sample was from a company called Juliette Has a Gun and named Lady Vengeance (umm ok, I love it already without smelling it!)…I’ve been wearing it the last few days and I must say it makes me feel very confident when I do. It strikes me more as a Fall fragrance though, or evening at least. Very potent. Love it!
Samples of the shadows from The Garden palette from Stila. I’ve never tried their shadows so I’m curious to see how the feel and wear!
A full size tin of green tea mints by Tea Forte, chamomile shampoo formulated for blondes by Klorane, a Jouer lip conditioner, a lovely minty blue polish by The Color Club (Love their polishes!! Free of the usual ick that’s inside of others!), and a pair of great ear buds w/ a special playlist on Spotify!
Whew! That seems like a lot yes? This was an awesome box! I just got an email saying my August box is on the way so more treats soon!
I love Birchbox! Every month feels like my birthday and I love trying the amazing new products! Do you subscribe to Birchbox? What did you get?
Cheers to Glamour, Birchbox, and Lady Vengeance,
August 10, 2012
If you follow me on Instagram (@polishandpout) you’ve probably seen the play by play of the beauty products I’ve been picking up lately…I wanted to follow up on some lippys I’ve purchased and give a full review. I’ve found some really amazing products this summer at the drugstore! These lipsticks are all gonna cost you around $5 or less, proving that good things do come in small (inexpensive) packages…
Lasting Finish by Kate for Rimmel #12: LOVE LOVE LOVE! This baby is long wearing, feels smooth and not drying at all, and this particular shade is to die for! Not red, but not too orange, it’s the perfect combination of both! This lippy has been a staple in my Summer look! Under $5
Maybelline #515 Coral Crush: Another beautifully packaged $5 lippy! Love how this looks and feels. Love the color. Feels super smooth. If your someone who’s lips get dried out by lipsticks this would be a great formula for you! I would not classify it as long wearing (hence why its so creamy). But I still love it! Pair with a liner to avoid frequent touch-ups!
Wet’n’Wild #966 Don’t Blink Pink: Wow, BEST $2 I ever spent! So I snagged this little gem on night while buying shampoo and I am SO glad I gave it a chance! This has so much color payoff, super vibrant and literally lasts all day without making my lips look cracked and dry. Did you hear me?! ALL DAY!!!!! I literally can eat a salad, sip coffee, brave the heat and not need to touch up! The only thing I will say is that apparently the black packaging is actually paint and after about 2 months of being in my purse and being used a lot the paint is starting to rub off on my hands. I dont care though, it’s that good, plus even if it bothered me that much it wouldn’t break the bank to go buy another. Mind you, I have used this at last 3 times a week for 2 months, so it’s had a rough life!
L’Oreal Colour Riche Balm in #418 Caring Coral: I’m obsessed with this packaging! Consider this Chaptick’s older more refined sister. When I opened it the appearance of the balm gave the impression that there would be more pigment in it than it actually has. I haven’t tried any other shades yet so I’m not sure if the others in the line would qualify as a tinted lipblam, but this shade definitely does not. Don’t get this if you’re wanting color. But if you are looking for a nice balm this one is great! Smells and feels good, SPF 15. $5
What are your latest lippy faves?
Cheers to Summer, Lips, and Good things Coming in Small Packages,
July 13, 2012
Say bienvenue to our friend Maya! She’s a double threat: a professionally trained and accomplished makeup artist AND a licensed cosmetologist who is amazing at styling hair!
I’m not sure if it’s the Mona Lisa smirk she always has on her face, or her sultry French accent…but we just love her!!
She’s lived in places like France and India and traveled the world sharpening her art and skill, studied under renown artists, and worked for lines such as Dior and Laura Mercier…here’s a peek at what products are her fav’s right now!
photo credits: top Paul Ferradas, bottom Jeremy Montemayor
Should you ever book P&P for your wedding or special event you’ll most likely meet her in person, as she often joins our beauty adventures! From Suburban Mothers to International Models, Maya has done it all! We are so excited whenever she joins us!
Chin Chin (Cheers!) to Mothers, Models, and Maya,
May 29, 2012
BB Cream…I’m sure by now you’ve all heard of this innovative product…and if you’re like me, you’ve had some questions! (Umm like, what does BB stand for?) Today I have the pleasure of being on Smitten With Pretty where I will be giving you the whole BB Cream Breakdown: what is it, what makes it special, and who should buy it! So make sure to stop by Smitten With Pretty so you can get the 411!
I have definitely been on the BB cream bandwagon for some time now…testing and trying and comparing. I wanted to know what all the fuss was about! So here are the ones I’ve tried so far (in the order I tried them) and what I think about them…
1. Smashbox $39: I liked it. “Hmm…so this is BB Cream, huh!” Felt nice, covered well for something that doesn’t call itself a foundation, and it’s oil absorbing properties were a pleasant surprise! Didn’t feel slick or overly shiny like I do with tinted moisturizers. Great to know that despite the SPF it is camera friendly. I was intrigued to try other brands to compare…
2. Estée Lauder DayWear $38: A little sticky, didn’t spread as nicely as the one by Smashbox. “Perhaps I bought too dark of a shade?? I think I’ll go back to using the Smashbox one.”
3. Clinique $37: “Hellooooo BB cream I officially love you!” Covers amazingly, anti aging benefits too? Yes please! I didn’t feel the need to wear foundation and loved that it was actually bettering my skin. Stays put all day. Instant love!
–insert me trying the Lauder one again, “I’m a little more tan now, maybe I’ll like it? Nope.” Even more dissatisfied after trying the Clinique.
4. Diorsnow $60: “Dior you never let me down!” Texture was great, I love that it’s in the Diorsnow line (corrects tone) and the SPF 55 packs a wallop! Only currently available in one tinted shade tho. So if you have deeper skin it’ll look ashy. And if you’re tan, your face will look lighter than your body. So for most this will not be a stand alone product, you’ll want to use it under foundation. But if your fair complected, it’s perf! Consider this your sporty BB, your go to the gym or hiking or beach makeup option! I’m curious to try their Hydralife BB now…
–insert me trying Lauder again, ” I will like this, I will like this! Ugh, no I feel splotchy and like it just doesn’t settle right!” Boo! I really wanted to like you! BUT what I will say is that I think a dryer or more mature skin may really like it. Just not right for me I guess.
–Continued to alternate between the Clinique and Dior. Oh ya what about Smash? Used it again for a couple days…nice! I still think Clinique is better tho.
5. Garnier $12: “Ok my drugstore dare, what do ya got? Hmm…” Not bad, definitely a good budget friendly option. But not as good as the others I tried. More sticky, not as great of coverage. Reminiscent of tinted moisturizer–insert Lauder flashbacks–So comparable to Lauder’s I suppose.
Well, there is my honest detailed journey with BB cream…which took well over 2 months by the way! I definitely liked Clinique the best, and loved the Dior for those extra sun-filled days. When it’s all said and done, I’d say BB is a must for everyone! Make it your Summer best friend (It’ll probably end up being your favorite for every season! It will be for me!). You just can’t beat the benefits!
Cheers to BB Cream, Best Friends, and Benefits,
May 18, 2012
Still needing more pick me ups for your summer look? Here’s what’s on my list for the warmer weather…
1. Kate Moss for Rimmel London: these lippys feel amazing, wear like a dream, and are under $5. My favorite is shade 12
2. Maybelline FitMe foundation: a long time favorite of mine. With a lightweight, luminous finish, you can consider this tinted moisturizer’s big sister. Perfect for those days when you don’t want to feel too “made up.” Around $6
3. Kiss Nail Decals: lasts up to ten days, tons of fun patterns and less than $6 a box! Good for nails and toes…or be daring and do the “accent nail” trend. I love this floral pattern!
4. Jergens Natural Glow: Skip the damaging sun and use this daily for a believable tan! LOVE this stuff! Definitely in my top 5 self tanning products! Under $8
5. ELF cream liner: $3 and lasts ALL day! Summer-proof liner to be sure.
6. Forever21 Hair Clips: Aren’t these yellow roses cute? $2.50
7. Clean and Clear Antibacterial Face Wash: one of my favorite face washes, this $4 miracle will take care of any extra yuck (ie: sweat & bacteria) that comes along with the heat.
8. Color Club in Jackie Oh!: less than $3, and free from all of the poisons in typical polishes! Love this electric shade!
So many beauty treats, so little time! Pretty nice though for only $35 right?!
Cheers to Sunshine, Summer-Proof Makeup, and Beauty Pick-me-Ups,
May 15, 2012
The warmer weather proves that summer is almost here. And while it is exciting to bust out the sandals and summer dresses that were ignored during the winter…it’s fun to add something new to the routine! Here are the things that were in Ashley’s (Polish and Pout’s Lead Stylist) shopping cart this week!
1. Easyshine Glossy Lip Color by Jordana: creamy sheer color and only $1…need I say more?
2. ELF Bronzer: skip the sun damage and bronze it up baby!
3. Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear nail polish in Twisted Pink: its all about bright colors right now! That neon tank top too much? A bright polish is a great way to ease into the trend!
4. ELF Eye Liner in Black: rock the graphic (aka bold) eyeliner trend for only $1
5. Sally Hansen Insta-Dry polish in Snappy Sorbet: the perfect summery coral!
6. Remington Hair Clips: these bobbys come in a variety of fun colors and are only $2.50 a pack! Use as a cute way to pin back those bangs or be daring and follow the new trend of showing your bobby pins when you put your hair up!!
Love Ashley’s picks!! I’m thinking that I definitely will go buy those colorful bobby pins ASAP!! Do you think you might give your summer look a boost with these items? It won’t do too much damage to your wallet…Plus, if you’re like me and not feeling “ready” yet for bikini season, I’ll let you in on a secret: beauty products always fit 😉
Cheers to Warmer Weather, Bright Colors, and Things that Fit,
May 11, 2012