Who says that the only daytime drama can be the soaps you watch on tv? A smokey eye doesn’t have to be reserved for the evening! The trick to pulling it off during the day and not looking like you’re headed to the club is to be strategic about the placement and using soft neutral shades! Here’s how…
1. Apply your normal primer, and then start by lining your eyes. It doesn’t need to be perfect. I’m using the Rimmel Scandaleyes pencil in black.
2. Use a smudger brush and smudge the liner back and forth to create our smoke.
3. Using the same brush begin to work the smudged liner upwards. Keep it away from the crease…we are smoking out the lid.
4. Pat a shimmery taupe all over your lid. I’m using Homecoming by Makeup Geek.
5. Using a windshield wiper motion, blend a soft brown into the crease. I’m using Creme Brulee by Makeup Geek.
6. Sweep a matte vanilla shade under the brow bone, I’m using Foxy from the Urban Decay Naked Basics palette.
7. Place a pop of shimmery vanilla in your inner socket to give the look a little light. I am using Venus from Naked Basics.
8. Using the same smudge brush as before, dip it into the taupe you used on your lid and blend a thin line under your lashes.
9. Apply your black liner from step one to the inner rim of your lower lashline (waterline).
10. Use your smudger to smear the liner into the outer third of your lower lashline.
11. Line the top of your eyes again to bring the look together.
12. Smudge the liner up slightly on the outer third of your top lashline.
Mascara (and lashes if desired) and there you go!
A touch of intensity that appropriate for just about anywhere!
And a full shot of my lovely model to show you that overall, the shadow really does translate soft and is definately not too harsh for daytime! Plus, I have to show off my gorgeous sister (who is having a baby next month! Woohoo!).
Cheers to Smoke, Shadow, and Daytime Drama,
January 13, 2014
Do you ever smell something and immediately you’re thinking of a certain person, or time in your life? Sometimes the memory even surfaces before you realize what you’re smelling, “What is that, smells like Christmas!” A diesel truck goes by and I’m mentally transported to Santiago, Chile. Coconut Lime Verbena body spray…I think of my sister. Chanel Chance Eua Fraiche and it’s a hot summer night downtown with Andy.
If we naturally link scents with people or events, then why not use that to your advantage and be purposeful about your scent during important times?! Since scent is so closely tied to memory, I encourage my brides to pick a new unique scent for their wedding day (bonus points if you wear it on your honeymoon too!). All of the amazing emotions of the day get intertwined with that scent. And every time you bring it out (on a special event or anniversary) you’ll be reminded of all those feelings of love, friendship, and celebration!
I do this in my own life, not just one my wedding day, but whenever there is something significant I want to remember. I recently had a birthday and we decided to celebrate by going on a cruise to Mexico! The perfect opportunity to make a scent-memory connection!
Jenn from Garden Apothecary was sweet enough to send me some birthday treats from her amazing product line. When I saw the Cacao + Cardamom Flower Essence perfume oil I just knew that would be the perfect scent for my Latina Holiday! Its like sugar and spice with a warmth. I made sure to apply it morning and night…Here is a peek into the memories my scent and I made on vacation:
I had never been to Catalina Island before so it was so great to visit a new place. We drove around in golf carts, visited the little shops, and ate ice cream. It reminded me of Sauselito a little!
Mexico was of course great! Full of shopping and delish local food! I even was surprised with a mariachi serenade for my birthday…wow! I felt so spoiled.
Halloween happened while at sea…and it was so thrilled that Andy let me paint his face! So much fun!
It’s not a vacation in my opinion without some poolside sunshine.
I love getting dolled up and going out with my husband. More formal sit-down dining happens every night on the ship, so every night felt like date night! There was a vanity desk in our cabin, so doing my makeup and hair seemed extra fun and my Cacao roller ball fragrance made me feel vintage and swanky!
Of course, vacation always ends too soon…but I returned to amazing friends and family that wanted to continue celebrating, so I really cannot complain!
I think I’m going to bust out the cacao fragrance again at Christmas and add some more memories to that scent! What about you? What scents remind you of good times?
What if you wore the same scent on every date night…or found the perfect fragrance for your wedding…or graduation…or promotion…and the list goes on and on! You’d literally be able to bottle those memories. So stay tuned next week for my fragrance hall of fame top picks so you can find the perfect one!
And special thanks to Garden Apothecary! Jenn, your special scent helped make my birthday perfect!
Cheers to Memories, Mexico, and Scent,
November 14, 2013
It’s no secret that I love bargains…and the 5 under $5 is tag going around online right now so I thought I’d join in the fun too! I don’t think I could really just narrow the list down to only 5 items under $5…so this may be a re-occurring series. But these 5 I currently use on a very regular basis so I think it’s a good place to start!
1. Nail Polish by Julie G: I absolutely LOVE these! You can find them at the drugstore for less than $3…they are very opaque (meaning lots of color!) An you can almost get away with one coat! They go on smooth and wear long. Go snag some, you’ll be happy you did!
2. Liner and brow brushes from the craft store: Yep. I’ve mentioned this tip numerous times before and I will keep shouting it from the rooftops! Those liner and brow brushes you’re paying so much for are the same things you find in the detail painting section of the craft store! They work just as well at a fraction of the price…I’ve paid as little as $0.50 but never more than a buck or two.
3. NYC Smooth Skin Bronzer in Sunny: less than $3 at Target and worth far more! This matte bronzer is great for daily basic contour and adds a lovely sun-kissed glow! It’s not packed with red, so you won’t look like an oompa-loompa! I’m on my 4th one at the moment and even keep this in my pro kit now.
4. Rimmel Scandaleyes liners: these guys are around $4 and are so smooth and creamy! They glide on easy and smudge out great, but once they set they’re there to stay! Waterproof creamy liners for under $5?! Yes please! The nude one I love for the water line for a wide-eyed look.
5. WetnWild Megalast lipsticks: Are you tired about hearing about this? Sorry (not sorry)…but these are just worth so much more than the $2 they charge! Pigment packed and super long wearing…and tons of amazing shades!
What about you? Any products you love that are under $5? Let me know, I want to try them! By the way, do you follow me on Instagram and Vine? Follow @polishandpout and see my magic trick that goes with this post 😉
Cheers to Deals, Steals, and 5 Dollar Bills,
September 18, 2013
Life can be tough. Circumstances can be shaky. Here is what we are certain of though…
1. Lipstick can cure just about anything.
2. But how we look on the outside does not define us.
3. Everyday is a fresh chance to be a new you. Is the day half gone and its been terrible so far? You can start your day over anytime you choose! I had a teacher in junior high say that all the time and it stuck with me…I use this pearl of wisdom regularly!
4. Knowing how to do something properly is very powerful! And while an expertly executed smoky eye may or may not land you Ryan Gosling, it will boost your confidence and make the day seem brighter!
5. Everyone deserves to have their moment to shine. You may not be a celebrity, but you can feel like one once in a while! (That’s where we step in!)
6. Others actions can affect us, but ultimately your personal choices will be the rudder that steers the ship of your life!
7. You can always count on being able to tag along with us! Beauty Adventures are best shared with a friend…and sometimes a little pretty is the perfect escape!
Cheers to Circumstance, Certainty, and New Chances,
September 9, 2013
I’ve been feeling inspired when it comes to nail art lately, as evidenced by my recent posts…So here’s another mani to try! It ends up looking like brush strokes on a canvas or a little tie-dyed!
I love this style because you can be messy and not super calculated…so it takes no precision! Its like a messy manicure…but on purpose! A nail novice or nail expert will have fun with this one.
I recommend doing this one hand at a time, as the clear coat is what smoothes out the brush strokes. Too much dry time will change the outcome and may result in a little texture. Try it out and let me know how yours turns out! And no need to use all shades in the same family…mix it up!
Cheers to Tie-Dye, Brush Strokes, and Messy Manicures,
August 30, 2013
Winged liner is one of my favorite looks! It’s a super quick way to look done up without having to bother with tons of eyeshadow. Whether its a subtle wing or a dramatic bold line…the list of occasions to rock this look at is endless!
Liner can be tricky…and the old saying “practice makes perfect” definitely applies in this instance as well. But here are a couple of simple tricks that will make your cat-eye so much easier to achieve!
The biggest tip is to do your normal liner first, then TILT YOUR HEAD BACK to do the wing! If you close your eye or pull at your lid it will end up being in the wrong spot or at the wrong angle…not to mention it will be almost impossible to get your eyes to look even.
Find the spot you want your liner to end at draw your wing towards your eye. It may be instinctive to flick your liner out, but it will be so much easier drawing your wing in reverse. Then just connect the edge and fill in as necessary.
There you have it! Such a great technique to add to your repertoire for Fall!
Cheers to Practice making Perfect, Eyeliner, and Fall (it’s almost here!),
August 28, 2013
Ombré everything has been a big trend for a few years now and I am loving the look as nail art too! Here’s an easy way to get an ombré mani…it’s very simple, the bulk of the work really is in the clean up.
A couple of tips:
– Don’t rub the sponge on the nail, that will remove the polish. Just press in an up and down motion.
– When you load the sponge, if you apply it a similar width as your nail bed, the clean up will be minimal.
– Reapply polish to the sponge as necessary
– Repeat application until you reach the desired opacity. But wait a minute in between coats so you don’t remove the previous layer with your sponge.
– Your clear coat will smooth out any texture, so don’t wait for your ombré to dry before applying the clear coat.
Give this a shot and let me know how it turns out! The color possibilities are endless!
Cheers to Mani’s, Ombré, and Trendy Tips,
August 26, 2013
If you follow me on Instagram(@polishandpout) you know that my 3 great loves are lashes, lipstick, and nail polish. As I was painting my nails last night I marveled at the fact that for about 7 years straight I painted my nails the same color! I also recalled that 3 years ago I decided to change that because of something that happened to me at work (when I worked at a makeup counter). I posted the story on Facebook (I wasn’t blogging at the time). So I thought I’d share it with you along with P&P’s favorite nail looks lately…perhaps it will inspire you to branch out from your usual mani too!
Glitter, glitter, and more glitter. All over, as an accent, tips, fade, outline…you name it!
Neon and colors so bright you can practically see your nails in the dark!
The accent nail is still alive and well…if you’re like me and the big bulky nail gems and plastic flowers et cetera seem cumbersome then opt for decal or paint accents!
Bold colors and bold lengths! Sporty and square nails are WAY OUT and have been for a LONG TIME. As in, do not touch square with a ten foot pole. Almond, rounded, and stiletto nails are dominating trend and will continue to do so for a long time I’d wager! Don’t let the length scare you, you can rock the current shape short too!
If almond nails are still uncomfortable for you, start with a rounded edge. Think natural in shape. Baby steps. And do yourself a favor and watch a Marilyn Monroe movie or something from that era, pay attention to all of the lovely starlets nails…you’ll be on board with rounded nails after I guarantee it!
I’ve been crushing hard on pastels and lavender especially…light purples too!
Maybe you’re stuck in a beauty rut like I was: “The other day I complimented a coworkers nail polish…it was a gorgeous shade of teal. She responded by offering to loan it to me so I could paint my nails the same color. “Oh no thank you, I usually paint my nails black,” I said. She asked how long I’ve kept my nails black for, so I told her about 6 years or so. She looked at me like I was nuts and said, “You HAVE to get out of that rut!” I brushed off her comment at first, but then later that day I had an epiphany. I saw someone who had apparently stepped out of a time machine. You know the type: mullet-like hair with big bangs, hot pink lipstick, blue eye shadow, a skirt that is older than her children and shorter than it should be. She looked like she was an extra in an 80’s teen flick, but worse because while she had continued to age, her appearance screamed “It’s still 1984, right?!” Was this to be my fate? I looked down at my nails and suddenly they were mocking me. I do need to get out of my rut! So the next chance I had I picked up a bottle of white nail polish. It seemed the natural choice since it’s the exact opposite of what I normally wear. I must admit, it looks pretty chic. I highly recommend white polish for spring and summer. And while I most likely will return to my black polish in the nearby future, this week I changed my beauty destiny and proved to myself that I will not be stuck in the past! Now I just need to figure out what to do with my mullet…”–April 22, 2010
Cheers to Mullets, Manicures, and Changing your Beauty Destiny,
August 13, 2013
Anyone who has had the pleasure the meet Beck Morgan will agree with me on these two things: He is a master at what he does. And he is passionate about what he does. It’s impossible to not catch his enthusiasm when you’re around him!
Beck is specifically an expert on MAC product having been a MAC educator for over five years, training groups of up to 700 people on the latest trends and how to create a flawless look. He loves giving people the skills to get the exact look they want!
As a MAC Cosmetics artist for the past 10 years, he has worked with clients ranging from new brides to celebrities, “Some of my favorites have been Naima Mora and Caridee English of America’s Next Top Model, The Raiderettes, The B52’s and Cyndi Lauper!” Beck is sharing his top 7 must-have MAC products with us today, so grab a pen and add these to your weekend shopping list!
1. Viva Glam VI Lipglass: A beautiful lipgloss with a bronzy base and raspberry shimmer. It looks fab over any lipstick and has enough color when worn alone.
2. Engraved Powerpoint Eyeliner: This liner won’t budge. You can sweat, cry… A bridal must have!
3. Radiant Rose Highlighting Pen: The secret to the Karsashian glow underneath the eyes and to pop the cheekbones that works on everyone.
4. Warm Soul Mineralize Blush: This soft pink and gold blush has the perfect amount of shimmer. Try it, I promise you’ll love it!
5. Extended Play Mascara: This is like Lancome Definicils on steroids. At $16.00 you cant beat it for a department store mascara.
6. Natural Radiance Face Primer: It brightens your complection and makes your foundation glide on like silk. One pump massaged into your skin before foundation, and your skin looks fresh all day!
7. Give Me Sun Mineralize Skinfinish Bronzer: Universal non-shimmery Bronzer that’s gives a golden (not orange) glow any time of year.
“If there is one part of makeup I love most, it has to be beautiful foundation. I always say ‘Skin is who you are, makeup is who you want to be!'”
Well put, Beck!
Cheers to Makeup, MAC, and Beck Morgan,
February 21, 2013
It’s no secret that I have a love (that borders on obsession) for lipstick! Im always trying new shades and formulas so I thought I’d give you the rundown on the things I’ve tried lately. If you follow me on Instagram may have seen some of these lipstick-picks already. All of these are super affordable and would make great stocking stuffers too!
WetnWild #970 Purty Persimmon: I’ve mentioned this surprising formula in the past. I cannot believe how pigmented and long-wearing this formula is! And for $2?! It’s only a matter of time before I have all of the shades they offer in this formula.
Revlon Just Bitten Kissable #055 Adore: if you like the idea of colour and stains but prefer a lipbalm texture this one’s for you. As it wears off it leaves colour behind so your lips are never totally bare. And super smooth.
Rimmel Kate Moss 8 hour wear in #6: Of course I’m including one from this line! I can’t get enough!! Vibrant long wearing creamy formula for around $4. Love this shade of pink!
Rimmel Kate Moss 8 hour wear in #9: Like I said before, can’t get enough. This is a great berry red for the holidays, don’t you think?!
WetnWild #903C Just Peachy: This is a great J-Lo worthy peach that will really pop on olive skin!
Have you tried any of these? Any you think I should try? Follow me on Instagram for down to the minute lippy discoveries!
Cheers to Love, Lippys, and Long-wearing formulas,
December 3, 2012