It’s no secret that I love bargains…and the 5 under $5 is tag going around online right now so I thought I’d join in the fun too! I don’t think I could really just narrow the list down to only 5 items under $5…so this may be a re-occurring series. But these 5 I currently use on a very regular basis so I think it’s a good place to start!
1. Nail Polish by Julie G: I absolutely LOVE these! You can find them at the drugstore for less than $3…they are very opaque (meaning lots of color!) An you can almost get away with one coat! They go on smooth and wear long. Go snag some, you’ll be happy you did!
2. Liner and brow brushes from the craft store: Yep. I’ve mentioned this tip numerous times before and I will keep shouting it from the rooftops! Those liner and brow brushes you’re paying so much for are the same things you find in the detail painting section of the craft store! They work just as well at a fraction of the price…I’ve paid as little as $0.50 but never more than a buck or two.
3. NYC Smooth Skin Bronzer in Sunny: less than $3 at Target and worth far more! This matte bronzer is great for daily basic contour and adds a lovely sun-kissed glow! It’s not packed with red, so you won’t look like an oompa-loompa! I’m on my 4th one at the moment and even keep this in my pro kit now.
4. Rimmel Scandaleyes liners: these guys are around $4 and are so smooth and creamy! They glide on easy and smudge out great, but once they set they’re there to stay! Waterproof creamy liners for under $5?! Yes please! The nude one I love for the water line for a wide-eyed look.
5. WetnWild Megalast lipsticks: Are you tired about hearing about this? Sorry (not sorry)…but these are just worth so much more than the $2 they charge! Pigment packed and super long wearing…and tons of amazing shades!
What about you? Any products you love that are under $5? Let me know, I want to try them! By the way, do you follow me on Instagram and Vine? Follow @polishandpout and see my magic trick that goes with this post 😉
Cheers to Deals, Steals, and 5 Dollar Bills,
September 18, 2013
Stocking are probably my favorite part of presents at Christmas! Sure, big pricey presents are nice too, but all those little things that you like or need, your favorite treats…all in one giant sock…I mean, what’s not to love?! And I don’t know about you, but when I’m the one filling a stocking I like it to be as full as possible, and to have the most fun and legitimately enjoyable things inside!
Christmas socks, chocolate, magazines, maybe a small gift card…Hmm what else? Skip the weird cheap gift baskets in the holiday aisle and grab some of these instead!
1. WetnWild Eyeshadow Trios $2: Biggest shock ever that these shadows are amazing! They come in singles and larger palettes too…so affordable.
2. ELF Shine Eraser oil blotting sheets $1: It is far better to touch use this way, rather than packing on powder on top of the oil and bacteria on your face throughout the day
3. WetnWild Megalast Lipstick $2: Great pigment, long lasting wear, totally amazing!
4. Sephora Facial Cleansing brush $6: Consider this the poor man’s Clarisonic. Gets my face so much more clean than when I just use my hands and is great for exfoliating too!!
5. NYC Smooth Skin Bronzer in Sunny $2.75: Currently my favorite bronzer! Buildable colour, matte, and none of that annoying red that’s in most bronzers
6. ELF powder brush $1: Of all of the brushes that I use on my clients, the one that people compliment the most for how amazing it feels is not my $45 brush, not my $29 brush…it’s this one! Go figure.
7. Ardell Fashion Lashes $3-$5: flirty fun for New Years Eve perhaps?
8. Kate Moss for Rimmel Lipsticks $4: No1 is the perfect Holiday Red! Love these and cannot get enough!
9. Sally Hansen InstaDry nailpolish $3: great colors, wears fantastic, and dries in about a minute
10. ELF Zit Zapper $1: tea tree oil and salicylic acid to give blemishes the ol’ one two punch!
Aaaaand a few more special extras if you want to turn this stocking into an amazing gift instead…
1. Rimmel Gel eyeliner $7: waterproof, black, and a brush built into the lid…I used this on my Fall brides and loved it!
2. Philosophy Shower Gels $5: Love these travel size gels they do at Christmas time…they ACTUALLY smell like what they say they do! If you buy 3 they’re only $5 each! Hot buttered rum anyone?
3. Naked Basics Pallete by Urban Decay $27: The latest and greatest in the Naked family…already in love with these 5 matte shades and one satin finish highlight…neutral perfection!
4. MAC Viva Glam V lipstick $14.50: This lipstick looks great on EVERYONE. I mean everyone!! It’s the perfect neutral everyday colour, it looks like “lip” but with a little extra pop.
5. Designer Makeup bags $7-$25: Ross ALWAYS has fantastic makeup bags, many from my favorite designers and are a fraction of their usual cost. Have you priced makeup bags lately? Even no-name bags at Target cost a pretty penny…why not get one from Michael Kors, Marc Jacobs, or Calvin Klein for cheaper instead? Plus, a makeup bag is cuter to stuff than a stocking anyway!
Happy shopping and Merry Christmas everyone!
Cheers to Stockings, Makeup, and Christmas,
December 21, 2012
Over the last year, I’ve made it a point to familiarize myself with non-department store makeup brands. And sometimes you find winners and sometimes you don’t. But while I love my luxury brand products (Hello Dior Airflash!), not everyone can or wants to spend $65 on foundation. Plus, while we all have brands we prefer, it’s never a good enough reason to use something just because of the name! I love using a variety of brands, and ultimately choose things based on what works for my face (or my client’s faces!).
Today I challenged myself and decided to replicate my daily beauty ritual with more affordable drugstore options…Here is the result:
I was happy with how it turned out! I keep things fairly basic on a daily basis. I focus on my complexion and skip eyeshadow, liner and mascara. I usually wear a bold lip, and lashes though.
For my complexion I used:
1. Rimmel Lasting Finish Foundation in #200 Soft Beige: $7.50
2. Maybelline FitMe powder in #310 to set my foundation with: $6
3. Jordana Forever Flawless pressed powder in #106 Light Honey as a bronzer: $1.25
4. Jordana Undercover Cream Concealer in #03 Soft Beinge for under my eyes and around my nose, et cetera: $1.25
For color I used:
1. Jordana blush in #17 Rouge: $1.25
2. Jordana blush in #2 Bronze for a little dimension: $1.25
3. Revlon Just Bitten Kissable in #030 Smitten Eprise: $8
And here is what my face looked like 8 hours later. Everything held up great! No touch ups at all, except one lip touch up! Not too shabby for less than $30 right?
Cheers to Beauty, Budgets, and Being Frugal,
September 5, 2012
This week I had the immense pleasure of attending the VIP Adesign Brush Party at The Specialists Salon in San Francisco hosted by Erica Carr! Not only was I there to experience and review the Adesign Brushes as an artist, but I also was invited to cover the event as a blogger…if you follow me on Twitter or Instagram you saw a bit of the play by play of the night (You don’t?! Let’s change that! @polishandpout). Here’s a peek into how this amazing night went…
The soiree was in one of my favorite places…San Francisco! Red carpet? Yes please!
Clockwise from top left: Me and fellow beauty blogger Renee Hamilton, New friend and fellow artist Trisha, Pre-party toast, Cheers!
Bubbly is nice and getting to see other artists is always fun…but the main reason we were there was of course for the brushes! We all had the chance to try the Adesign brushes out first hand on each other.
Two of the brushes there for our review have not even hit the market yet! One face and one eye brush…such innovative shapes! How incredible it was that Adesign wanted to include the artistry community in their product development! If the feedback is good…we may see these brush shapes hitting the shelves!
Adesign Brushes is a private label brand. They develop brushes for companies like Smashbox, Sephora, and Laura Mercier. I went home with around 7 brushes and cannot wait to use them extensively this month and give a full in-depth review soon! So stay tuned!
From the left: Beauty Director for Adesign Brushes Shana King, our hosts Erica and Lulu, and Anisa herself (the President of Anisa International, the company who owns Adesign).
Yum! The appetizers were divine! Such a fun night…having so many amazing artists in one place is a rare treat! I am so thankful for the new friendships and connections that were made last night!
Me and Beauty Expert Shana King…she is lovely yes? I must say, her complexion was immaculate!
Cheers to Bubbly, Beauty, and Brushes,
August 24, 2012
Here are some of the things that have been in my shopping cart as of late…mostly July and August. Some of these things I’ve been buying for years, others I just discovered! The prices vary greatly…honestly I use what I like and what works, sometimes that means combining expensive and affordable! Whatever works
Ardell Individual Lashes: a long time fave of mine! I wear these everyday and use them on all my brides! They look so plush but are believable at the same time! I had someone ask me the other day if I had started using Latisse. I prefer to adhere these with Dark Tone Duo glue. You can find these for under $5 at Target. I mostly use the “short” length.
ELF Liquid Lipstick in Perfected Pink: only $1 at Target! Glossy finish, but not sticky! Love how smooth it is…and this shade works for everyone!!!!
Dior Airflash: $65 at Nordstrom. Pricey yes. But perfection has to cost something! This is literally photoshop for your face. Looks lovely by itself and is lighter than air. Or buff it on top of your liquid makeup for that extra perfect doll-like pore-less look! When I want my skin to look immaculate this airbrush like spray foundation is my go-to. Started using this 5 years ago and it was love at first sight!
Rimmel 8 hour wear Kate Moss Lipstick: around $4 at Target. I know, I know, I keep brining this formula up but I REALLY love it! Wears so long and feels great. Shade #8 is a pinky mauve. Good bridal shade.
Urban Decay Primer Potion: Usually $18 at Sephora. I tried this originally when I purchased my first Naked palette and I really like it. Helps shadow go on smooth and wear longer. I snagged mine on sale at Nordstrom Rack for $8!
Jordana Easyshine #10 Fresh Melon: $1.25 at drugstores (I snagged mine at my local Savemart grocery!). Feels great, smells yummy, and looks so lovely! What a deal!
Rimmel 8 hour wear Kate Moss Lipstick: around $4 at Target. Yep another shade I love in this collection. A true nude. Perfect to pair with a dramatic eye. Be light handed when applying though so as to not erase your mouth completely!
Total cost of my shopping cart? Around $90…granted the foundation is around two-thirds of that so all in all 7 items for that much is not too shabby! Have you tried any of these products? Tell me your thoughts!
Cheers to Pricey Foundations, Cheap Lippys, and Using What Works for You,
August 20, 2012
BB Cream…I’m sure by now you’ve all heard of this innovative product…and if you’re like me, you’ve had some questions! (Umm like, what does BB stand for?) Today I have the pleasure of being on Smitten With Pretty where I will be giving you the whole BB Cream Breakdown: what is it, what makes it special, and who should buy it! So make sure to stop by Smitten With Pretty so you can get the 411!
I have definitely been on the BB cream bandwagon for some time now…testing and trying and comparing. I wanted to know what all the fuss was about! So here are the ones I’ve tried so far (in the order I tried them) and what I think about them…
1. Smashbox $39: I liked it. “Hmm…so this is BB Cream, huh!” Felt nice, covered well for something that doesn’t call itself a foundation, and it’s oil absorbing properties were a pleasant surprise! Didn’t feel slick or overly shiny like I do with tinted moisturizers. Great to know that despite the SPF it is camera friendly. I was intrigued to try other brands to compare…
2. Estée Lauder DayWear $38: A little sticky, didn’t spread as nicely as the one by Smashbox. “Perhaps I bought too dark of a shade?? I think I’ll go back to using the Smashbox one.”
3. Clinique $37: “Hellooooo BB cream I officially love you!” Covers amazingly, anti aging benefits too? Yes please! I didn’t feel the need to wear foundation and loved that it was actually bettering my skin. Stays put all day. Instant love!
–insert me trying the Lauder one again, “I’m a little more tan now, maybe I’ll like it? Nope.” Even more dissatisfied after trying the Clinique.
4. Diorsnow $60: “Dior you never let me down!” Texture was great, I love that it’s in the Diorsnow line (corrects tone) and the SPF 55 packs a wallop! Only currently available in one tinted shade tho. So if you have deeper skin it’ll look ashy. And if you’re tan, your face will look lighter than your body. So for most this will not be a stand alone product, you’ll want to use it under foundation. But if your fair complected, it’s perf! Consider this your sporty BB, your go to the gym or hiking or beach makeup option! I’m curious to try their Hydralife BB now…
–insert me trying Lauder again, ” I will like this, I will like this! Ugh, no I feel splotchy and like it just doesn’t settle right!” Boo! I really wanted to like you! BUT what I will say is that I think a dryer or more mature skin may really like it. Just not right for me I guess.
–Continued to alternate between the Clinique and Dior. Oh ya what about Smash? Used it again for a couple days…nice! I still think Clinique is better tho.
5. Garnier $12: “Ok my drugstore dare, what do ya got? Hmm…” Not bad, definitely a good budget friendly option. But not as good as the others I tried. More sticky, not as great of coverage. Reminiscent of tinted moisturizer–insert Lauder flashbacks–So comparable to Lauder’s I suppose.
Well, there is my honest detailed journey with BB cream…which took well over 2 months by the way! I definitely liked Clinique the best, and loved the Dior for those extra sun-filled days. When it’s all said and done, I’d say BB is a must for everyone! Make it your Summer best friend (It’ll probably end up being your favorite for every season! It will be for me!). You just can’t beat the benefits!
Cheers to BB Cream, Best Friends, and Benefits,
May 18, 2012
Still needing more pick me ups for your summer look? Here’s what’s on my list for the warmer weather…
1. Kate Moss for Rimmel London: these lippys feel amazing, wear like a dream, and are under $5. My favorite is shade 12
2. Maybelline FitMe foundation: a long time favorite of mine. With a lightweight, luminous finish, you can consider this tinted moisturizer’s big sister. Perfect for those days when you don’t want to feel too “made up.” Around $6
3. Kiss Nail Decals: lasts up to ten days, tons of fun patterns and less than $6 a box! Good for nails and toes…or be daring and do the “accent nail” trend. I love this floral pattern!
4. Jergens Natural Glow: Skip the damaging sun and use this daily for a believable tan! LOVE this stuff! Definitely in my top 5 self tanning products! Under $8
5. ELF cream liner: $3 and lasts ALL day! Summer-proof liner to be sure.
6. Forever21 Hair Clips: Aren’t these yellow roses cute? $2.50
7. Clean and Clear Antibacterial Face Wash: one of my favorite face washes, this $4 miracle will take care of any extra yuck (ie: sweat & bacteria) that comes along with the heat.
8. Color Club in Jackie Oh!: less than $3, and free from all of the poisons in typical polishes! Love this electric shade!
So many beauty treats, so little time! Pretty nice though for only $35 right?!
Cheers to Sunshine, Summer-Proof Makeup, and Beauty Pick-me-Ups,
May 15, 2012
The warmer weather proves that summer is almost here. And while it is exciting to bust out the sandals and summer dresses that were ignored during the winter…it’s fun to add something new to the routine! Here are the things that were in Ashley’s (Polish and Pout’s Lead Stylist) shopping cart this week!
1. Easyshine Glossy Lip Color by Jordana: creamy sheer color and only $1…need I say more?
2. ELF Bronzer: skip the sun damage and bronze it up baby!
3. Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear nail polish in Twisted Pink: its all about bright colors right now! That neon tank top too much? A bright polish is a great way to ease into the trend!
4. ELF Eye Liner in Black: rock the graphic (aka bold) eyeliner trend for only $1
5. Sally Hansen Insta-Dry polish in Snappy Sorbet: the perfect summery coral!
6. Remington Hair Clips: these bobbys come in a variety of fun colors and are only $2.50 a pack! Use as a cute way to pin back those bangs or be daring and follow the new trend of showing your bobby pins when you put your hair up!!
Love Ashley’s picks!! I’m thinking that I definitely will go buy those colorful bobby pins ASAP!! Do you think you might give your summer look a boost with these items? It won’t do too much damage to your wallet…Plus, if you’re like me and not feeling “ready” yet for bikini season, I’ll let you in on a secret: beauty products always fit 😉
Cheers to Warmer Weather, Bright Colors, and Things that Fit,
May 11, 2012
Tangerine Tango was named Pantone’s color of the year for 2012! Pan-whaaaat? you say…Well nutshell version is: Every year Pantone (a company that established a system of identifying and matching colors for use in design et cetera) chooses a color of the year. And this color is used a lot in fashion, beauty, and design forecasting. Orange you glad I explained that?–umm, sorry couldn’t resist that joke–I bet you $10 if you haven’t noticed this color everywhere yet, you will know that you’ve read this!
I love the energy and confidence that this color communicates! Here are my Tangerine Tango beauty pics:
And my final pick is the lippy above: Sephora brand Hot Hues Lip Balm in Crazy Coral. I picked this one up on Saturday for $10 and can’t wait to go snag the other shades it comes in (a bright pink & purple). It feels like chapstick, looks like jello, smells yummy, and leaves a bright orangey-peachy popsicle looking stain on my lips! I seriously can’t stop staring at it…it looks good enough to eat!
I’ve been pretty fixated on this color…in fact in the last 2 months I’ve added 3 tops and a pair of jeans in this color to my closet! Check out my clothing picks in this trendy shade HERE. So what do you think of Tangerine Tango? Any beauty picks off this list you’re going to pick up or already have?
Cheers to Confidence, Color, and Crazy Coral,
March 25, 2012
The Makeup Show is an annual pro-only event put on by The PowderGroup (if you’re a makeup artist, do yourself a favor and google TPG!) Last year was amazing so I knew I could not miss this year!
The show is in a handful of major cities (NYC, London, etc) and luckily Los Angeles is one of them! So I took a roadtrip with fellow artist Maya and fellow beauty vlogger Tree!
The body art and special fx were amazing!
Of course with all of the shopping I was on cloud nine! Clockwise from left: shopping at the Inglot booth, Tree examining part of her loot, even though I knew I’d be buying more I couldn’t resist packing a decent amount to go with me, you never know right?
I was able to meet some amazing artists: clockwise from top left: Alex, me, and MJ meeting celebrity makeup artist Troy Jensen (who’s worked with a ton of celebs including JLo, Rachel Bilson, Megan Fox), Me and Momma Makeup Sharon Gault (has worked extensively with Lady Gaga), Me with the lovely Lori Taylor from Smashbox (I just LOVED her sequined jacket!), and legends Byrd Holland and Maurice Stein (They’ve worked on legendary actors and movies including Jimmy Stewart and Planet of the Apes).
It was so incredible to hear from all of these artists, and the perspective of the last older artists was invaluable! Hearing about how Byrd motioned and fought for female makeup artists to be allowed into union and industry gave me chills!
Snippets from the trip, clockwise from top left: Mario Dedivanovic (Kim Kardashian’s personal artist), the big wall of FB statuses (I had to add Polish and Pout to the wall!), our room at the Marriott, me and Maya striking a pose!
One of the highlights from the weekend was hearing from artist Bill Corso. You know his work from Lemony Snickets, The Grinch, and recently John Carter. He explained the creative process behind the makeup in John Carter, even showing us the concepts that got tossed! Clockwise from top pic: sketches of the tattoos drawn onto the actors, the princess of Mars before and after makeup, the artist himself speaking.
The show has a heavy educational focus, which I love! So much information, advice, and ideas swirling in my head now! So this week I will catch some time on the beach to process it all!
The plan is to attend next year in NYC! I cannot wait!
Cheers to Makeup, Movies, and the Marriott,
March 22, 2012