It’s no secret that I love bargains…and the 5 under $5 is tag going around online right now so I thought I’d join in the fun too! I don’t think I could really just narrow the list down to only 5 items under $5…so this may be a re-occurring series. But these 5 I currently use on a very regular basis so I think it’s a good place to start!
1. Nail Polish by Julie G: I absolutely LOVE these! You can find them at the drugstore for less than $3…they are very opaque (meaning lots of color!) An you can almost get away with one coat! They go on smooth and wear long. Go snag some, you’ll be happy you did!
2. Liner and brow brushes from the craft store: Yep. I’ve mentioned this tip numerous times before and I will keep shouting it from the rooftops! Those liner and brow brushes you’re paying so much for are the same things you find in the detail painting section of the craft store! They work just as well at a fraction of the price…I’ve paid as little as $0.50 but never more than a buck or two.
3. NYC Smooth Skin Bronzer in Sunny: less than $3 at Target and worth far more! This matte bronzer is great for daily basic contour and adds a lovely sun-kissed glow! It’s not packed with red, so you won’t look like an oompa-loompa! I’m on my 4th one at the moment and even keep this in my pro kit now.
4. Rimmel Scandaleyes liners: these guys are around $4 and are so smooth and creamy! They glide on easy and smudge out great, but once they set they’re there to stay! Waterproof creamy liners for under $5?! Yes please! The nude one I love for the water line for a wide-eyed look.
5. WetnWild Megalast lipsticks: Are you tired about hearing about this? Sorry (not sorry)…but these are just worth so much more than the $2 they charge! Pigment packed and super long wearing…and tons of amazing shades!
What about you? Any products you love that are under $5? Let me know, I want to try them! By the way, do you follow me on Instagram and Vine? Follow @polishandpout and see my magic trick that goes with this post 😉
Cheers to Deals, Steals, and 5 Dollar Bills,
September 18, 2013
I’ve been feeling inspired when it comes to nail art lately, as evidenced by my recent posts…So here’s another mani to try! It ends up looking like brush strokes on a canvas or a little tie-dyed!
I love this style because you can be messy and not super calculated…so it takes no precision! Its like a messy manicure…but on purpose! A nail novice or nail expert will have fun with this one.
I recommend doing this one hand at a time, as the clear coat is what smoothes out the brush strokes. Too much dry time will change the outcome and may result in a little texture. Try it out and let me know how yours turns out! And no need to use all shades in the same family…mix it up!
Cheers to Tie-Dye, Brush Strokes, and Messy Manicures,
August 30, 2013
Ombré everything has been a big trend for a few years now and I am loving the look as nail art too! Here’s an easy way to get an ombré mani…it’s very simple, the bulk of the work really is in the clean up.
A couple of tips:
– Don’t rub the sponge on the nail, that will remove the polish. Just press in an up and down motion.
– When you load the sponge, if you apply it a similar width as your nail bed, the clean up will be minimal.
– Reapply polish to the sponge as necessary
– Repeat application until you reach the desired opacity. But wait a minute in between coats so you don’t remove the previous layer with your sponge.
– Your clear coat will smooth out any texture, so don’t wait for your ombré to dry before applying the clear coat.
Give this a shot and let me know how it turns out! The color possibilities are endless!
Cheers to Mani’s, Ombré, and Trendy Tips,
August 26, 2013
If you follow me on Instagram(@polishandpout) you know that my 3 great loves are lashes, lipstick, and nail polish. As I was painting my nails last night I marveled at the fact that for about 7 years straight I painted my nails the same color! I also recalled that 3 years ago I decided to change that because of something that happened to me at work (when I worked at a makeup counter). I posted the story on Facebook (I wasn’t blogging at the time). So I thought I’d share it with you along with P&P’s favorite nail looks lately…perhaps it will inspire you to branch out from your usual mani too!
Glitter, glitter, and more glitter. All over, as an accent, tips, fade, outline…you name it!
Neon and colors so bright you can practically see your nails in the dark!
The accent nail is still alive and well…if you’re like me and the big bulky nail gems and plastic flowers et cetera seem cumbersome then opt for decal or paint accents!
Bold colors and bold lengths! Sporty and square nails are WAY OUT and have been for a LONG TIME. As in, do not touch square with a ten foot pole. Almond, rounded, and stiletto nails are dominating trend and will continue to do so for a long time I’d wager! Don’t let the length scare you, you can rock the current shape short too!
If almond nails are still uncomfortable for you, start with a rounded edge. Think natural in shape. Baby steps. And do yourself a favor and watch a Marilyn Monroe movie or something from that era, pay attention to all of the lovely starlets nails…you’ll be on board with rounded nails after I guarantee it!
I’ve been crushing hard on pastels and lavender especially…light purples too!
Maybe you’re stuck in a beauty rut like I was: “The other day I complimented a coworkers nail polish…it was a gorgeous shade of teal. She responded by offering to loan it to me so I could paint my nails the same color. “Oh no thank you, I usually paint my nails black,” I said. She asked how long I’ve kept my nails black for, so I told her about 6 years or so. She looked at me like I was nuts and said, “You HAVE to get out of that rut!” I brushed off her comment at first, but then later that day I had an epiphany. I saw someone who had apparently stepped out of a time machine. You know the type: mullet-like hair with big bangs, hot pink lipstick, blue eye shadow, a skirt that is older than her children and shorter than it should be. She looked like she was an extra in an 80’s teen flick, but worse because while she had continued to age, her appearance screamed “It’s still 1984, right?!” Was this to be my fate? I looked down at my nails and suddenly they were mocking me. I do need to get out of my rut! So the next chance I had I picked up a bottle of white nail polish. It seemed the natural choice since it’s the exact opposite of what I normally wear. I must admit, it looks pretty chic. I highly recommend white polish for spring and summer. And while I most likely will return to my black polish in the nearby future, this week I changed my beauty destiny and proved to myself that I will not be stuck in the past! Now I just need to figure out what to do with my mullet…”–April 22, 2010
Cheers to Mullets, Manicures, and Changing your Beauty Destiny,
August 13, 2013
Stocking are probably my favorite part of presents at Christmas! Sure, big pricey presents are nice too, but all those little things that you like or need, your favorite treats…all in one giant sock…I mean, what’s not to love?! And I don’t know about you, but when I’m the one filling a stocking I like it to be as full as possible, and to have the most fun and legitimately enjoyable things inside!
Christmas socks, chocolate, magazines, maybe a small gift card…Hmm what else? Skip the weird cheap gift baskets in the holiday aisle and grab some of these instead!
1. WetnWild Eyeshadow Trios $2: Biggest shock ever that these shadows are amazing! They come in singles and larger palettes too…so affordable.
2. ELF Shine Eraser oil blotting sheets $1: It is far better to touch use this way, rather than packing on powder on top of the oil and bacteria on your face throughout the day
3. WetnWild Megalast Lipstick $2: Great pigment, long lasting wear, totally amazing!
4. Sephora Facial Cleansing brush $6: Consider this the poor man’s Clarisonic. Gets my face so much more clean than when I just use my hands and is great for exfoliating too!!
5. NYC Smooth Skin Bronzer in Sunny $2.75: Currently my favorite bronzer! Buildable colour, matte, and none of that annoying red that’s in most bronzers
6. ELF powder brush $1: Of all of the brushes that I use on my clients, the one that people compliment the most for how amazing it feels is not my $45 brush, not my $29 brush…it’s this one! Go figure.
7. Ardell Fashion Lashes $3-$5: flirty fun for New Years Eve perhaps?
8. Kate Moss for Rimmel Lipsticks $4: No1 is the perfect Holiday Red! Love these and cannot get enough!
9. Sally Hansen InstaDry nailpolish $3: great colors, wears fantastic, and dries in about a minute
10. ELF Zit Zapper $1: tea tree oil and salicylic acid to give blemishes the ol’ one two punch!
Aaaaand a few more special extras if you want to turn this stocking into an amazing gift instead…
1. Rimmel Gel eyeliner $7: waterproof, black, and a brush built into the lid…I used this on my Fall brides and loved it!
2. Philosophy Shower Gels $5: Love these travel size gels they do at Christmas time…they ACTUALLY smell like what they say they do! If you buy 3 they’re only $5 each! Hot buttered rum anyone?
3. Naked Basics Pallete by Urban Decay $27: The latest and greatest in the Naked family…already in love with these 5 matte shades and one satin finish highlight…neutral perfection!
4. MAC Viva Glam V lipstick $14.50: This lipstick looks great on EVERYONE. I mean everyone!! It’s the perfect neutral everyday colour, it looks like “lip” but with a little extra pop.
5. Designer Makeup bags $7-$25: Ross ALWAYS has fantastic makeup bags, many from my favorite designers and are a fraction of their usual cost. Have you priced makeup bags lately? Even no-name bags at Target cost a pretty penny…why not get one from Michael Kors, Marc Jacobs, or Calvin Klein for cheaper instead? Plus, a makeup bag is cuter to stuff than a stocking anyway!
Happy shopping and Merry Christmas everyone!
Cheers to Stockings, Makeup, and Christmas,
December 21, 2012
It’s all about nail art right now and the caviar mani is top of the trend list! You can find “caviar” at the craft store (I’ve even seen it at the dollar store too). It looks so fancy but is super easy!
I think this is a perfect holiday mani don’t you?
Cheers to Nails, Christmas, and Caviar,
December 3, 2012
The summer has flown by! And between doing makeup for numerous weddings and traveling so frequently I’ve dropped the ball on what’s in my Birchbox. In fact, July’s sat on my desk unopened for 3 weeks! Crazy, I know!
Here’s a peek at what I got! July was hosted by Glamour Magazine (which I subscribe to and LOVE!)…
The Fragrance sample was from a company called Juliette Has a Gun and named Lady Vengeance (umm ok, I love it already without smelling it!)…I’ve been wearing it the last few days and I must say it makes me feel very confident when I do. It strikes me more as a Fall fragrance though, or evening at least. Very potent. Love it!
Samples of the shadows from The Garden palette from Stila. I’ve never tried their shadows so I’m curious to see how the feel and wear!
A full size tin of green tea mints by Tea Forte, chamomile shampoo formulated for blondes by Klorane, a Jouer lip conditioner, a lovely minty blue polish by The Color Club (Love their polishes!! Free of the usual ick that’s inside of others!), and a pair of great ear buds w/ a special playlist on Spotify!
Whew! That seems like a lot yes? This was an awesome box! I just got an email saying my August box is on the way so more treats soon!
I love Birchbox! Every month feels like my birthday and I love trying the amazing new products! Do you subscribe to Birchbox? What did you get?
Cheers to Glamour, Birchbox, and Lady Vengeance,
August 10, 2012
I’ve been mixing polishes as long as I’ve been painting my nails…and no I don’t mean that I make polish from scratch, but that I actually mix them together. And I make a mean nail polish cocktail if I do say so myself!
Colors are in one minute and out the next! Or a slightly different version of a shade comes out that I must have…so concocting my own new shades keeps me from wasting my entire paycheck on polish!
A while back friend and fellow blogger Malisa Price came over and we whipped up a batch of Tiffany Blue for her trip to NYC! You can see her lovely digits, what we mixed, as well as a peek at my hubby playing mario kart on her blog here.
I recently saw an amazing pic on pinterest of a neon peach that sent me running for my polishes to see if I could replicate it. I think it turned out great! Here’s how I achieved it:
Orange, yellow (for added brightness) and white will give you peach. Since this is neon peach though, I opted for neon yellow and neon orange!
Approximate ratio: 50% white 30% orange 20% yellow
Mix a little inside a cap or on a plate if you’re just painting your own right then, or take a half used bottle of white and mix directly inside if you think you’ll want the color again!
I find that owning a couple bottles of white is the key to being a successful polish mixologist! White makes any color seem bright or turns a regular shade into a softer or more pastel color.
So Cheers to White, Neon, and Nailpolish Cocktails,
July 30, 2012
Still needing more pick me ups for your summer look? Here’s what’s on my list for the warmer weather…
1. Kate Moss for Rimmel London: these lippys feel amazing, wear like a dream, and are under $5. My favorite is shade 12
2. Maybelline FitMe foundation: a long time favorite of mine. With a lightweight, luminous finish, you can consider this tinted moisturizer’s big sister. Perfect for those days when you don’t want to feel too “made up.” Around $6
3. Kiss Nail Decals: lasts up to ten days, tons of fun patterns and less than $6 a box! Good for nails and toes…or be daring and do the “accent nail” trend. I love this floral pattern!
4. Jergens Natural Glow: Skip the damaging sun and use this daily for a believable tan! LOVE this stuff! Definitely in my top 5 self tanning products! Under $8
5. ELF cream liner: $3 and lasts ALL day! Summer-proof liner to be sure.
6. Forever21 Hair Clips: Aren’t these yellow roses cute? $2.50
7. Clean and Clear Antibacterial Face Wash: one of my favorite face washes, this $4 miracle will take care of any extra yuck (ie: sweat & bacteria) that comes along with the heat.
8. Color Club in Jackie Oh!: less than $3, and free from all of the poisons in typical polishes! Love this electric shade!
So many beauty treats, so little time! Pretty nice though for only $35 right?!
Cheers to Sunshine, Summer-Proof Makeup, and Beauty Pick-me-Ups,
May 15, 2012
The warmer weather proves that summer is almost here. And while it is exciting to bust out the sandals and summer dresses that were ignored during the winter…it’s fun to add something new to the routine! Here are the things that were in Ashley’s (Polish and Pout’s Lead Stylist) shopping cart this week!
1. Easyshine Glossy Lip Color by Jordana: creamy sheer color and only $1…need I say more?
2. ELF Bronzer: skip the sun damage and bronze it up baby!
3. Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear nail polish in Twisted Pink: its all about bright colors right now! That neon tank top too much? A bright polish is a great way to ease into the trend!
4. ELF Eye Liner in Black: rock the graphic (aka bold) eyeliner trend for only $1
5. Sally Hansen Insta-Dry polish in Snappy Sorbet: the perfect summery coral!
6. Remington Hair Clips: these bobbys come in a variety of fun colors and are only $2.50 a pack! Use as a cute way to pin back those bangs or be daring and follow the new trend of showing your bobby pins when you put your hair up!!
Love Ashley’s picks!! I’m thinking that I definitely will go buy those colorful bobby pins ASAP!! Do you think you might give your summer look a boost with these items? It won’t do too much damage to your wallet…Plus, if you’re like me and not feeling “ready” yet for bikini season, I’ll let you in on a secret: beauty products always fit 😉
Cheers to Warmer Weather, Bright Colors, and Things that Fit,
May 11, 2012