What do you do when you find yourself going through a major life change? Why, start a makeup line of course! Meet Debbie Bondar, the genius behind Canadian brand FACE Atelier. I was lucky enough to have a conversation with her recently and I’m so excited to share about this line with you all!
She embodies the kind of woman we love here at P&P: educated, intelligent, tenacious, business savvy, and able to rock lipstick while doing it all!
Debbie describes starting FACE Atelier as her post divorce reinvention. With her life shifting gears, she found herself evaluating her beauty routine and realized that despite being in her forties, she had yet to find her perfect foundation match, “I have a basic olive complexion. If I can’t find a good shade then who can?”
So she took her experience and education (did I mention her background is in journalism and law?!) and launched a brand full of not-so-secret weapons that you’ll find in the kits of many celebrity makeup artists.
FACE Atelier prides themselves on their universal appeal and was designed for consumers while still meeting the needs of professional makeup artists. Debbie shared a simple but very real truth, “Artists and consumers want the same thing: High performing easy to use products that help them look their best.”
The brand has a less is more vibe, with no-nonsense packaging and multitasking products rather than having a multitude of products for singular needs. Products that are developed by listening to the feedback and needs of the artists and people who use them? You bet…function and performance are in mind when items are launched, not trend.
Debbie shared the impact she feels cosmetics can have, “Healthy self esteem is exceptionally important…I’m a mother of daughters. So much illness starts from within! Makeup can be an important tool in a woman’s toolbox to help her feel better if she so chooses.”
As far as those specific “tools” goes, stay tuned in the coming weeks on Instagram and here on the blog for some product breakdowns and favorites from FACE Atelier! Oh, did i mention the line is Peta and Leaping Bunny approved?!
“I always believed there was magic in the bottle,” we do too, Debbie!
Cheers to Makeup, Multitasking, and Magic in the bottle,
June 17, 2015
It’s not Valentine’s Day without kiss-worthy lips…and these 5 lipsticks are the perfect picks this week whether you have a date with someone special, a dear friend, or even just your favorite pj’s!
1. Kate Moss for Rimmel in number 17: the perfect classic pink! Great for a soft daytime look.
2. MAC Viva Glam V: a shimmery rosy beige, a great compliment to a smokey eye. Added bonus, the full price you pay goes to charity!
3. Vivid Rose by Maybelline: Ok, so not so much great for a date…but going out with your friends, or feeling sassy? This lippy packs a punch!
4. Warm Me Up #235 by Maybelline: the name says it all.
5. Color Whisper by Maybelline in Pin up Peach: a sheer hydrating wash of color for a low maintenance girlie touch.
Happy Valentine’s Day everyone!
Cheers to the Perfect Pinks for your Pout,
February 12, 2014
Do you ever smell something and immediately you’re thinking of a certain person, or time in your life? Sometimes the memory even surfaces before you realize what you’re smelling, “What is that, smells like Christmas!” A diesel truck goes by and I’m mentally transported to Santiago, Chile. Coconut Lime Verbena body spray…I think of my sister. Chanel Chance Eua Fraiche and it’s a hot summer night downtown with Andy.
If we naturally link scents with people or events, then why not use that to your advantage and be purposeful about your scent during important times?! Since scent is so closely tied to memory, I encourage my brides to pick a new unique scent for their wedding day (bonus points if you wear it on your honeymoon too!). All of the amazing emotions of the day get intertwined with that scent. And every time you bring it out (on a special event or anniversary) you’ll be reminded of all those feelings of love, friendship, and celebration!
I do this in my own life, not just one my wedding day, but whenever there is something significant I want to remember. I recently had a birthday and we decided to celebrate by going on a cruise to Mexico! The perfect opportunity to make a scent-memory connection!
Jenn from Garden Apothecary was sweet enough to send me some birthday treats from her amazing product line. When I saw the Cacao + Cardamom Flower Essence perfume oil I just knew that would be the perfect scent for my Latina Holiday! Its like sugar and spice with a warmth. I made sure to apply it morning and night…Here is a peek into the memories my scent and I made on vacation:
I had never been to Catalina Island before so it was so great to visit a new place. We drove around in golf carts, visited the little shops, and ate ice cream. It reminded me of Sauselito a little!
Mexico was of course great! Full of shopping and delish local food! I even was surprised with a mariachi serenade for my birthday…wow! I felt so spoiled.
Halloween happened while at sea…and it was so thrilled that Andy let me paint his face! So much fun!
It’s not a vacation in my opinion without some poolside sunshine.
I love getting dolled up and going out with my husband. More formal sit-down dining happens every night on the ship, so every night felt like date night! There was a vanity desk in our cabin, so doing my makeup and hair seemed extra fun and my Cacao roller ball fragrance made me feel vintage and swanky!
Of course, vacation always ends too soon…but I returned to amazing friends and family that wanted to continue celebrating, so I really cannot complain!
I think I’m going to bust out the cacao fragrance again at Christmas and add some more memories to that scent! What about you? What scents remind you of good times?
What if you wore the same scent on every date night…or found the perfect fragrance for your wedding…or graduation…or promotion…and the list goes on and on! You’d literally be able to bottle those memories. So stay tuned next week for my fragrance hall of fame top picks so you can find the perfect one!
And special thanks to Garden Apothecary! Jenn, your special scent helped make my birthday perfect!
Cheers to Memories, Mexico, and Scent,
November 14, 2013
It’s no secret that I love bargains…and the 5 under $5 is tag going around online right now so I thought I’d join in the fun too! I don’t think I could really just narrow the list down to only 5 items under $5…so this may be a re-occurring series. But these 5 I currently use on a very regular basis so I think it’s a good place to start!
1. Nail Polish by Julie G: I absolutely LOVE these! You can find them at the drugstore for less than $3…they are very opaque (meaning lots of color!) An you can almost get away with one coat! They go on smooth and wear long. Go snag some, you’ll be happy you did!
2. Liner and brow brushes from the craft store: Yep. I’ve mentioned this tip numerous times before and I will keep shouting it from the rooftops! Those liner and brow brushes you’re paying so much for are the same things you find in the detail painting section of the craft store! They work just as well at a fraction of the price…I’ve paid as little as $0.50 but never more than a buck or two.
3. NYC Smooth Skin Bronzer in Sunny: less than $3 at Target and worth far more! This matte bronzer is great for daily basic contour and adds a lovely sun-kissed glow! It’s not packed with red, so you won’t look like an oompa-loompa! I’m on my 4th one at the moment and even keep this in my pro kit now.
4. Rimmel Scandaleyes liners: these guys are around $4 and are so smooth and creamy! They glide on easy and smudge out great, but once they set they’re there to stay! Waterproof creamy liners for under $5?! Yes please! The nude one I love for the water line for a wide-eyed look.
5. WetnWild Megalast lipsticks: Are you tired about hearing about this? Sorry (not sorry)…but these are just worth so much more than the $2 they charge! Pigment packed and super long wearing…and tons of amazing shades!
What about you? Any products you love that are under $5? Let me know, I want to try them! By the way, do you follow me on Instagram and Vine? Follow @polishandpout and see my magic trick that goes with this post 😉
Cheers to Deals, Steals, and 5 Dollar Bills,
September 18, 2013
Life can be tough. Circumstances can be shaky. Here is what we are certain of though…
1. Lipstick can cure just about anything.
2. But how we look on the outside does not define us.
3. Everyday is a fresh chance to be a new you. Is the day half gone and its been terrible so far? You can start your day over anytime you choose! I had a teacher in junior high say that all the time and it stuck with me…I use this pearl of wisdom regularly!
4. Knowing how to do something properly is very powerful! And while an expertly executed smoky eye may or may not land you Ryan Gosling, it will boost your confidence and make the day seem brighter!
5. Everyone deserves to have their moment to shine. You may not be a celebrity, but you can feel like one once in a while! (That’s where we step in!)
6. Others actions can affect us, but ultimately your personal choices will be the rudder that steers the ship of your life!
7. You can always count on being able to tag along with us! Beauty Adventures are best shared with a friend…and sometimes a little pretty is the perfect escape!
Cheers to Circumstance, Certainty, and New Chances,
September 9, 2013
Allow me to introduce you Jenn: world traveler, professional horticulturist, and the genius behind Garden Apothecary.
Awhile back Jenn sent me the loveliest package of treats. P&P artist Maya was with me when it arrived and we both were over the moon about how everything looked and smelled! What is so great about Garden Apothecary is that all of the amazing products are organic and hand-made in Half Moon Bay, CA.
That evening I rolled on the flower essence oil…smelled so lovely!
The French Green Clay Mud Mask made my skin feel squeaky clean. It comes in powder form, so you just add water. What? You don’t make this face when you do a mud mask?! The hubby said I looked ridiculous…perhaps, but my face was baby-butt smooth after so who cares!
The product I was most enchanted with was the Bath Tea…the bottle looks so good on my counter (I’m such a sucker for packaging!). When I drew myself a bath the aroma of rose was intoxicating!
Jenn is so inspiring! Whether its seeing her craft her beautiful products, taking a peek into her garden, or hearing about her far off adventures…you won’t wanna miss a beat on her blog or Instagram (@gardenapothecary)!
Garden Apothecary has a treat for P&P readers: From now through August you can get $4 off the 4oz. Lavender Face and Body mist (normally $12.50) by using the code “polishandpout” at checkout! And shipping is free on orders $60 or more! Happy shopping everyone!
Cheers to Gardens, Baths, and Organic Goods,
July 30, 2013
Meet my friend Christi of Christi Reynolds Makeup Artistry! With over 17 years of experience in the beauty industry, she is the definition of a pro! Her skill and expertise have helped me both personally and professionally…in fact, Christi is the makeup artist I hired to do my makeup for my wedding 6 years ago! (See! EVERYONE needs to hire a professional makeup artist for their big day!)
I love Christi’s style of artistry…with a focus on complexion and a fresh aesthetic, her artistry really lets the person shine! I’m so thrilled she is sharing some of her must-have products with all of us! Here we go…
1. Elf eyelid primer: “This sheer formula doesn’t interfere with the color or texture of your shadows…use it and nothing will budge!
2. Benefit’s High Beam and Benetint: “I love to mix them together! Looks good on every skin tone and gives a natural healthy flush. Instant red carpet glow!”
3. MAC Mineralize Skin Finish: “I love this powders beautiful coverage, it’s not too much, and provides subtle luminosity! Great for setting foundation.”
4. Clarins Beauty Flash Balm: “Love it! I reach for this when I know that my skin needs that wide awake, fresh, just had a facial look! Instantly snaps my skin back from looking dehydrated.”
5. Lingering MAC brow pencil: “This is super precise so you can mimic the natural shape of the brow hairs.”
Christi sums up her beauty philosophy well,”I like to make-up, not make over. I like to correct, define, and enhance…enhance…not create! There’s a difference.”
So Cheers to Correcting, Defining, and Enhancing,
July 1, 2013
Anyone who has had the pleasure the meet Beck Morgan will agree with me on these two things: He is a master at what he does. And he is passionate about what he does. It’s impossible to not catch his enthusiasm when you’re around him!
Beck is specifically an expert on MAC product having been a MAC educator for over five years, training groups of up to 700 people on the latest trends and how to create a flawless look. He loves giving people the skills to get the exact look they want!
As a MAC Cosmetics artist for the past 10 years, he has worked with clients ranging from new brides to celebrities, “Some of my favorites have been Naima Mora and Caridee English of America’s Next Top Model, The Raiderettes, The B52’s and Cyndi Lauper!” Beck is sharing his top 7 must-have MAC products with us today, so grab a pen and add these to your weekend shopping list!
1. Viva Glam VI Lipglass: A beautiful lipgloss with a bronzy base and raspberry shimmer. It looks fab over any lipstick and has enough color when worn alone.
2. Engraved Powerpoint Eyeliner: This liner won’t budge. You can sweat, cry… A bridal must have!
3. Radiant Rose Highlighting Pen: The secret to the Karsashian glow underneath the eyes and to pop the cheekbones that works on everyone.
4. Warm Soul Mineralize Blush: This soft pink and gold blush has the perfect amount of shimmer. Try it, I promise you’ll love it!
5. Extended Play Mascara: This is like Lancome Definicils on steroids. At $16.00 you cant beat it for a department store mascara.
6. Natural Radiance Face Primer: It brightens your complection and makes your foundation glide on like silk. One pump massaged into your skin before foundation, and your skin looks fresh all day!
7. Give Me Sun Mineralize Skinfinish Bronzer: Universal non-shimmery Bronzer that’s gives a golden (not orange) glow any time of year.
“If there is one part of makeup I love most, it has to be beautiful foundation. I always say ‘Skin is who you are, makeup is who you want to be!'”
Well put, Beck!
Cheers to Makeup, MAC, and Beck Morgan,
February 21, 2013
Stocking are probably my favorite part of presents at Christmas! Sure, big pricey presents are nice too, but all those little things that you like or need, your favorite treats…all in one giant sock…I mean, what’s not to love?! And I don’t know about you, but when I’m the one filling a stocking I like it to be as full as possible, and to have the most fun and legitimately enjoyable things inside!
Christmas socks, chocolate, magazines, maybe a small gift card…Hmm what else? Skip the weird cheap gift baskets in the holiday aisle and grab some of these instead!
1. WetnWild Eyeshadow Trios $2: Biggest shock ever that these shadows are amazing! They come in singles and larger palettes too…so affordable.
2. ELF Shine Eraser oil blotting sheets $1: It is far better to touch use this way, rather than packing on powder on top of the oil and bacteria on your face throughout the day
3. WetnWild Megalast Lipstick $2: Great pigment, long lasting wear, totally amazing!
4. Sephora Facial Cleansing brush $6: Consider this the poor man’s Clarisonic. Gets my face so much more clean than when I just use my hands and is great for exfoliating too!!
5. NYC Smooth Skin Bronzer in Sunny $2.75: Currently my favorite bronzer! Buildable colour, matte, and none of that annoying red that’s in most bronzers
6. ELF powder brush $1: Of all of the brushes that I use on my clients, the one that people compliment the most for how amazing it feels is not my $45 brush, not my $29 brush…it’s this one! Go figure.
7. Ardell Fashion Lashes $3-$5: flirty fun for New Years Eve perhaps?
8. Kate Moss for Rimmel Lipsticks $4: No1 is the perfect Holiday Red! Love these and cannot get enough!
9. Sally Hansen InstaDry nailpolish $3: great colors, wears fantastic, and dries in about a minute
10. ELF Zit Zapper $1: tea tree oil and salicylic acid to give blemishes the ol’ one two punch!
Aaaaand a few more special extras if you want to turn this stocking into an amazing gift instead…
1. Rimmel Gel eyeliner $7: waterproof, black, and a brush built into the lid…I used this on my Fall brides and loved it!
2. Philosophy Shower Gels $5: Love these travel size gels they do at Christmas time…they ACTUALLY smell like what they say they do! If you buy 3 they’re only $5 each! Hot buttered rum anyone?
3. Naked Basics Pallete by Urban Decay $27: The latest and greatest in the Naked family…already in love with these 5 matte shades and one satin finish highlight…neutral perfection!
4. MAC Viva Glam V lipstick $14.50: This lipstick looks great on EVERYONE. I mean everyone!! It’s the perfect neutral everyday colour, it looks like “lip” but with a little extra pop.
5. Designer Makeup bags $7-$25: Ross ALWAYS has fantastic makeup bags, many from my favorite designers and are a fraction of their usual cost. Have you priced makeup bags lately? Even no-name bags at Target cost a pretty penny…why not get one from Michael Kors, Marc Jacobs, or Calvin Klein for cheaper instead? Plus, a makeup bag is cuter to stuff than a stocking anyway!
Happy shopping and Merry Christmas everyone!
Cheers to Stockings, Makeup, and Christmas,
December 21, 2012
It’s no secret that I have a love (that borders on obsession) for lipstick! Im always trying new shades and formulas so I thought I’d give you the rundown on the things I’ve tried lately. If you follow me on Instagram may have seen some of these lipstick-picks already. All of these are super affordable and would make great stocking stuffers too!
WetnWild #970 Purty Persimmon: I’ve mentioned this surprising formula in the past. I cannot believe how pigmented and long-wearing this formula is! And for $2?! It’s only a matter of time before I have all of the shades they offer in this formula.
Revlon Just Bitten Kissable #055 Adore: if you like the idea of colour and stains but prefer a lipbalm texture this one’s for you. As it wears off it leaves colour behind so your lips are never totally bare. And super smooth.
Rimmel Kate Moss 8 hour wear in #6: Of course I’m including one from this line! I can’t get enough!! Vibrant long wearing creamy formula for around $4. Love this shade of pink!
Rimmel Kate Moss 8 hour wear in #9: Like I said before, can’t get enough. This is a great berry red for the holidays, don’t you think?!
WetnWild #903C Just Peachy: This is a great J-Lo worthy peach that will really pop on olive skin!
Have you tried any of these? Any you think I should try? Follow me on Instagram for down to the minute lippy discoveries!
Cheers to Love, Lippys, and Long-wearing formulas,
December 3, 2012